How to Install Minecraft Texture Packs with Shaders
In this article, I am going to show you how to install Minecraft texture packs with shaders. Adding Minecraft shaders even to vanilla Minecraft makes it look so much better.
If it is your first time trying out Minecraft texture packs then you are in for a real treat. There are some great ones out there that just turn your Minecraft world into what you want.
In this tutorial, I am going to be showing you how to install our Minecraft resource pack, “T4G’s Builder Pack HD”. We went with a more realistic look. By realistic, I mean it has real-life textures for home buildings, business buildings, etc., such as stucco, wood, and marble for example.
You can get our Minecraft resource pack on Patreon here – “T4G’s Builder Pack HD“.
How to Install Minecraft Texture Packs
The first thing you will want is, of course, a Minecraft texture or resource pack, such as our own, “T4G’s Builder Pack HD“.
I will provide written instructions and images in this tutorial.
- Once you have your pack downloaded, open Minecraft.
- Click the “Options” button.
- Then choose “Resource Packs”.
- Choose “Open Pack Folder” on the lower right of your screen.
- Take the pack you downloaded and copy it or move it into that pack folder.
- You can close out of that window and head back into Minecraft.
- You should see the resource pack you added on the left-hand side of the screen.
- Hover over it and click the arrow. This will move it from “Available” to “Selected” (left to right).
- Click “Done”.
That’s it! You now have T4G’s Builder Pack HD (or a different one) installed and it is ready to use. You can do this while you are playing in a world or at the main menu.
How to Install Optifine
In order to run shaders for Minecraft, you are going to need an optimization mod, such as Optifine. There are others out there you could use instead of Optifine. However, we are going to stick with Optifine for this tutorial.
All of the other optimization mods should be the same a very similar process. Any questions for other mods just let me know in the comments below and I will get back to you.
NOTES: In order to install and run Optifine, you need Java. You can download Java here – https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp. After installing Java, you will be able to run Optifine (.jar file).
If you cannot run Optifine, right-click on the Optifine .jar file, and choose “Open with…”. Then, select the box “Always use this app to open .jar files”. Finally, select “Java(TM) Platform SE binary”. Now you should be able to run Optifine.
Installing Optifine (Steps 1-4):
- Download the latest Optifine version for the Minecraft version you are playing. For example, for Minecraft 1.18.2, you will need OptiFine HD U H7. Official downloads – https://www.optifine.net/downloads
- Once you have that downloaded, double-click on it, and a window will pop up. Choose “Install”. It will seem like nothing is happening but magic is happening in the background. A few seconds later and you will get a confirmation it has been installed.
- You now can choose Optifine in the dropdown (check screenshot below).
- You will get a message after clicking “Play”, “You are about to play Minecraft: Java Edition installation that has been modified. We can’t guarantee […]”. Click I understand the risks if you do not want to get that message again. Well, until you install an updated Optifine version that is. It is fine to proceed.
If you cannot install Optifine:
- If it does not install, it means you need to run (play) Minecraft: Java Edition first. This is common if you have not run Minecraft: Java Edition yet, or you have a new version of Minecraft: Java Edition you have not played.
- After you click “Play” and Minecraft opens up, you can close out of it.
- Continue to “Step Two” above.
How to Install Minecraft Shaders
Shaders make vanilla Minecraft look great. They’ll surely make them look better with a resource pack. Using a shader alongside a resource pack will be kind of a waste.
We use the SEUS PTGI E11 shader but we recommend just about all of SEUS’s shaders.
Make sure you have your shader(s) downloaded and ready to be copied or moved over.
- Assuming you have Optifine installed, open Minecraft.
- Choose “Options”.
- Choose “Video Settings”.
- Choose “Shaders”.
- Click on “Shaders Folder” on the lower-left-hand side of your screen.
- Move or copy the shader(s) inside that folder then close that window.
- Go back into Minecraft and choose that shader.
You’re done! You now have a resource pack and shader installed. The shader can be changed in-game or in the main menu.
Make sure to follow the developer’s instructions on what settings you need to choose/unchoose in order to prevent any bugs or glitches.
I hope you enjoyed this tutorial on how to install Minecraft texture packs and how to install Minecraft shaders.
Make sure to leave us a comment if you have any questions.
I love everything there is about gaming. That is just about what I always do because that is my true passion. When you don’t find me indulging myself in gaming content, you can find me coding or somewhere outside where all you can hear and see is nature.